social twitter 30 Mail


Making a Complaint

Complaints against a Municipal / Regional Police Force or Officer

When Can I Place a Complaint?

  • When you feel that you have been treated wrongly by a police officer, 
  • When you feel that an officer has behaved improperly or has neglected his or her duty, 
  • When you are not satisfied with any aspect of police services in New Brunswick.

The complaint should be made as soon as possible. Legislation has set a time limit of one year from the date of the incident which gave rise to the complaint. However, the Police Commission may allow an extension.

How Do I File a Complaint?

You can make a complaint

  • To the Chief of Police or Officer in charge of the force or the local council or police board where the incident occurred.
  • Directly to the New Brunswick Police Commission at: 
    New Brunswick Police Commission 
    Fredericton City Centre
    435 King Street, Suite 202 
    Fredericton NB E3B 1E5

The Police Act requires that all complaints be filed in writing. In order to allow a full and proper investigation, the name of the person making the complaint must be identified at the time the complaint is made. Complaints will be accepted electronically if sufficient contact information is provided for the Commission to be able to verify the identity of the complainant.

Your name and contact information 
Date, time, and place of the incident, 
Name(s) of the officer(s) involved, if known 
Summary of your complaint

Please note that it is an offence to knowingly make false or misleading statements or file a complaint in bad faith or to prevent or obstruct a person filing a complaint (Police Act, section 26).

If you have questions about filing your complaint, please contact the Commission at (506) 453-2069 or at its toll free number, 1-888-389-1777.

The Public Complaint Process



Arbitration Hearings Decisions

Arbitration Hearings Schedule

Complaint Process Maps

Conduct - Police Officer

Conduct - Chief or D/Chief

Service and Policy