social twitter 30 Mail
  • Who should I contact if I have a complaint about the R.C.M.P.? +

    You should contact the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the R.C.M.P. For information on their complaint process, visit the website at The New Brunswick Police Commission may be able to assist you in forwarding your complaint to the R.C.M.P.
  • What if I am not satisfied with the way the police force handles or resolves my complaint? +

    You may request the Police Commission to review the decision of the Chief of Police. The Commission may refer the matter to an independent Arbitrator for a final decision.
  • Are those settlement conferences held in private? +

    As the complainant, you will receive notice in writing of the settlement conference. You will be invited to attend and will have an opportunity to make representations if you wish. You may also be accompanied by a support person who may not make representations on your behalf without the consent of the parties.
  • What is a “settlement conference”? +

    The purpose of a settlement conference is to provide the police officer with an opportunity to respond to the alleged breach of the code of professional conduct and to reach an agreement with the Chief of Police concerning disciplinary and corrective measures. (28.8)
  • How long will it take? +

    The period of time between the filing of a conduct complaint and the date a Chief of Police or civic authority serves the member of the police force with a notice of settlement conference shall not exceed six months.
  • How will I be informed of the results of the investigation into my complaint? +

    Upon completion of an investigation, the investigator provides the Chief of Police with the full details of the investigation, including a summary of his or her findings and recommendations which must also be provided to you by the Chief of Police. (28.2(1)
  • What happens once I file the complaint with the New Brunswick Police Commission? +

    The Commission will review your complaint and decide whether to investigate the complaint itself or refer it to the local Chief of Police. Whenever possible, the Chief of Police or Commission will attempt to mediate a resolution. The Commission can appoint an investigator or conduct a hearing to gather information about the complaint. Generally the police officer(s) involved will continue to work during the investigation; however, it is possible that the officer may be suspended with or without pay or may be reassigned until the matter is resolved. If the investigation finds evidence to support your complaint, the police force involved or the Commission will take steps to resolve the matter. They may decide that a police force must change its policies or procedures, hold a “settlement conference” and/or refer it to a hearing. The hearing would decide if the police officer(s) involved in the incident violated the “Code of Professional Conduct”. If so, the outcome may range from a verbal reprimand to dismissal of the officer.
  • How much time do I have after an incident to make a complaint? +

    It is best to make your complaint as soon as possible after the incident or concern arises. The longer you wait the more difficult it may be to investigate your complaint. You will generally have up to one year from the date of the incident to file your complaint. If it has been more than one year, you should contact the New Brunswick Police Commission. Depending on the circumstances, the Commission may grant an extension of time to allow you to file a complaint.
  • What types of complaints can I file with the New Brunswick Police Commission? +

    You may file a complaint against a municipal or regional police officer if you have reason to believe the officer acted improperly. The Commission has the power to resolve conflict and order disciplinary or corrective measures when it is appropriate. The Commission will also hear complaints from people who are concerned about municipal or regional police services or any other aspect of policing in New Brunswick. Complaints that are considered frivolous can be dismissed at an early stage. A complaint can be withdrawn but might still be investigated.
  • 1